Note posted on March 7, 2021
I like myself a good Nora Robert's romance from time to time. One I read a while back was "The Obsession" with this notable exchange.
“You know, like brilliance, I never find that a decent excuse for being an asshole.”
That made me wonder, are there decent excuses for being an asshole? I have a few ideas...
- Unavoidable pain. The excuse worked for Dr. House for five seasons, at least.
- It's for the greater good. Sometimes you need to be a jerk to avoid being a monster. But it's hard to objectively measure and prove it's the case. It should be fine as long as people don't use this argument in bad faith, which I'm sure never happens.
- You're a Disney villain. I doubt Cruella de Vil had much of a choice. Imagine someone with that name being nice.
- You're talking to someone wearing brass knuckles. By all means, keep being an asshole. I'll have my phone recording for...religious reasons.
- You're an actual asshole. It's an unpleasant job, but someone has to do it.
This isn't an exhaustive list, so more will follow!