As delicious as meat is, eating it is unsustainable for the planet. But I read something surprising: we could help save the world be swapping meat with insects.
For example, crickets take a fraction of the resources to raise compared to cows, are highly nutritious, have fewer calories, and a greater percentage of each can be eaten. It’s even better than eating plants!
Sadly, there’s one big obstacle: eating bugs is gross. Many American liberals likely want to save the world, but not at the cost of their Instagram brunch photos.
But I still predict a deteriorating planet will force the whole world to fully accept eating bugs one day. Imagine what it’d be like if crickets became an everyday food:
- McDonalds drive-thrus would serve cholesterol-laden cricket burgers smothered in cheese, mustard, and mayo.
- High-end magazines would analyze the cricket brunches celebrities ate.
- School cafeteria food fights would break out where teens throw fistfuls of dead crickets at each other.
- Halloween would have houses giving little kids caramel-covered crickets.
- Stoners hit with the munchies would get deep-fried crickets delivered late at night.
This could all be real someday. I think of that and feel a touch better about the future, for it is intriguing, revolting, but ultimately pretty tasty.