December 14, 2019
Older generations often get mad at younger generations like Millennials for having different values. These range from the serious to the trivial, such as:
- Not proposing with diamonds for financial or ethical reasons.
- Marrying later in life (and coincidentally lowering the divorce rate).
- Choosing chicken parmesan as their seduction food of choice.
- Avoiding casual dining chains for delivery or cooking at home.
- Destroying the very fabric of American society.
- Killing cereal, apparently due to sheer laziness. (Although the real reason we're cereal killers is less time to eat.)
I don't know if any of these value shifts are good or not. I do know older generations shouldn't assume they're bad or shouldn't happen.
The reason is simple - values changing between generations is how society grows. This repeating pattern of change-anger-acceptance isn't new and isn't going away.