Note posted on September 23, 2019
Have you ever felt pressure to turn your hobby into a career or branding asset? That any activity has to have some tangible, profitable value instead of just doing it for joy?
I think this has sent my drawing hobby in a now-predictable loop of events:
- Resume drawing for its freeform expression
- Start thinking of ways to incorporate it more into my writing or programming work
- Feel increasing pressure to do the above
- Drawing suddenly feels like a work chore instead of a hobby
- Give up drawing and look for another hobby to focus on
I don't know if the capitalism culture I grew up in is to blame, or just me putting too much pressure on myself. Whatever the cause, I know this mindset isn't healthy.